Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Growing Old Isn't For Sissies!

So I turned 39 this year. For some reason 38 was a very difficult year for me. It was the year that I realized that I'm not in my 20's any more....I know that obviously I'm not in my 20's in years but I just don't feel like I'm in my 30's. I certainly don't act like it, I don't want to dress like I'm almost 40. I'll see articles in magazines on how to dress your age/decade and I'm disgusted and horrified at the boring slacks, button up shirts and matching heels and handbags! Gag! It's like telling me to put granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances in my house! Really? We should really all be so cookie cutter? Nothing against granite and stainless steel, but it's just not for everyone so...Hell no! I want teal appliances and concrete counter tops or maybe mosaic or recycled glass counter tops that I do myself... ok I'm getting off topic, this will be a subject for another day. 




When I was younger I dressed funky and different than most of the girls my age, mainly because my mother and grandparents owned antique shops and I was introduced to vintage clothing at a very early age. While all the other girls were wearing their "preppy" outfits, I was wearing vintage slips, crazy mens pj bottoms (because I always loved the print and thought it was waste to just wear them at home), and wing tipped shoes. But once I started having kids and had gone though a difficult marriage and divorce, I lost my funk and gained 40 lbs. I escaped into t-shirts and jeans, sweats and frumpy nightgowns.

Well for some reason turning 39 has been liberating! I'm ready to get my funk back! I cut my hair real short again and bleached it, I bought blue hair dye that I can add in when I want a little change for a few days. I'm collecting some wonderful vintage pieces again and I've lost 25 lbs. I'm ready to find myself again, I'm ready to have fun again like I did in my 20's but now a lot wiser. Not only wiser but more secure in who I am. I'm at a point now that I really don't care what anyone thinks about me or what I look like, I don't owe anyone an explanation for what I do, what I wear, if I chose to never buy a house again or never buy a new car. (More on that later)

This IS my next car!

Life is so short! I want to explore the world! I want to travel the US in my 1961 travel trailer, I want to ride bikes and fly kites! I want different colored nails and finally buy that VW Square back! Maybe I'll even put a surfboard on the roof even though I'm too scared to even try to surf....and I live in Arizona but oh the irony.

Venice Beach July 2011


I'm so lucky to have a husband that even though we are so different, he loves my funky side. He's said I would look great with pink hair or blue hair or what ever color I wanted and he has never once tried to change even one thing about me. For my Pixies and 80's New Wave he's Dokken and 80's heavy metal. But we click, we love each other wholeheartedly, we support each other and each others dreams to the end of the earth and he believes that I can achieve anything and everything my heart desires.

Your life does not have to be measured in years but measured in moments and I want moments of quality, moments that make my heart skip a beat! I intend on making the next 40 years the funnest I've ever had! Life is too short to play it safe!

So cheers to all of us that are on our way to finding our authentic selves no matter what or who we want to do or be....even if it's granite counter tops and stainless appliances!

Tonya










No comments:

Post a Comment