Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Fri: What I learned this week

I haven't blogged in almost a month! It's harder than I thought to write something every day so instead, I just put it off....but I'm working on consistency so here I am.

It's actually been a crazy month of learning, healing and growing. If you ask me, it's been a bit too much.

I stopped smoking almost 2 weeks ago and then went straight into the most stressful week I've had in years! I learned that somewhere deep inside me I have a strength that I didn't know I had. When I would normally walk outside to take a few drags if my ciggy I  took slow deep breaths instead. I know it doesn't sound like much but this really works!

What I learned this week is that we have stress receptors in our lungs. That's why smokers think that taking a smoke break will calm them down when actually if they just took some deep breaths, they would become more calm. When we're stressed we don't breathe deeply, we take very shallow breaths. It's important to stop and take a look at yourself. Relax your shoulders, close your eyes and calm your breath. Pay attention to how your breath is flowing in and out of your nose. Slow your breath and inhale deeply. You will feel so much calmer and within a few seconds, you'll forget that you "needed" to smoke. Of course you'll need to repeat this about 50 times a day for.......well I'm still doing it so I'll have to let you know how long it takes me to not want to smoke.

I'm happy to say that I've been smoke free for 2 weeks tomorrow. I'm not going to say it's been easy. It hasn't been easy at all, there have been times when I almost did smoke. I worked through these times one by one and before you know it, I made it 24 hours then 48 hours. I still feel quite a void where smoking used to be, I really hope that goes away. Honestly, this is the hardest thing I've ever done!

So if you're trying to quit smoking, good luck and I hope this might help you.

Next week I'll tell you about going to Kundalini Yoga for the first time and what I'm learning from the 21 day Deepak Chopra meditations I'm doing! They're a little too short but they have great tips for healing!


Outfit of the Day
Today's outfit is this cutey from Girl and Closet. I love this dress with the sweet pink belt and the white cropped jacket. So simple yet so perfect.


Have a beautiful weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment